Wednesday, September 5, 2007


My babies are growing quickly. Just when I thought we've accomplished all of the "firsts," along comes...The first day of school.

Sure. Bring it on. I had this one down cold. Both of my daughters have been in daycare since they were each six weeks old. Today will be just a little different. OK. Maybe not. It was a lot different. New morning routine, new location, new kids, new EVERYTHING!

Well. I was still determined to hold it together. OK. Again, maybe not. By the time Macy was settled into her tiny little chair in her brand new classroom, and I was done obsessing about every single thing that had a name tag with "Macy" written on it, I took a deep breath and walked over to Macy's tiny space she could call her own and crouched down to her level. "OK, baby, give me a kiss, I have to leave now." She lays a wet one on my puckered lips and returns her attention to focus on her coloring assignment. I quickly turn away and begin walking so that she couldn't see the tears welling up in my eyes. Then I hear, "I'll see you later today, OK, Mama?" Taking another deep breath to force the tears to stop from flooding my vision, I turn my head and quickly nodded, smiled, and whispered an exaggerated "OK, bye!" as I continued briskly to walk out of this classroom. The Class of 2020.

Trying so hard NOT to look like the mom who just dropped off her now "official" kindergartner, I kept my eyes down and focused on getting out of the school so that I could fall apart in solitude.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there honey! I've been there and the first day of 1st grade wasn't any easier! Nor was Riley's first day of preschool. She was much more okay with it than I was! That's a great picture of you three!

Minnesota Nifer said...

Enjoy it all...she will be going to her first dance with her first boyfriend before you know it! Motherhood - what a blessing!

Melissa said...

Thanks Katie. Really? It doesn't get any easier?! Wow. I don't think any mitigation plan will help me. I was (and will be) a big ball of tears every school year. Fantastic. ;)

Macy sang a song to me last night which she learned in Kindergarten. It was so adorable and perfect for her, and probably any 5-year-old who wishes he or she could keep mommy, daddy, or good friends in a little red box from which they can be pulled out just to give kisses and hugs whenever the urge arises. :)